Sure, there is a little bit of an accent here in Indiana, which I am actually used to and don't notice any longer when I talk to people from this area. But there is a grammatical error that I definitely notice. However, I'm not sure if it is just the speech-language pathologist in me though that is overly sensitive to these types of things.
"Needs Binned" (a sign on a cart of items at Walmart)
"I'm not sure if it needs painted." (rental office employee)
"This firewood is ready to be taken, but needs split." (Craigslist advertisement)
"Want paid? Hand in your time card." (Sign at factory for workers)
"This needs cleaned." (Co-worker)
Do you notice what is missing? The prepositional phrase "to be" is missing in each phrase or sentence. Ever since a co-worker pointed it out to me, I hear this error made at least on a weekly basis. I think it is really interesting...alright I'll admit it is driving me crazy! I really love Indiana, but I don't want to start using this grammatical error. Please tell me if I do!
Wow.
ReplyDeleteThat would be difficult to listen to without saying anything!
Also, thanks for the sweet stories about my nephew!
Ack! That would drive me CRAZY. :)
ReplyDeleteThis isn't a problem that needs addressed. Maybe your hearing needs checked. JK ;)
ReplyDelete