On Thursday afternoon Kate was discharged and we headed home. It was so exciting. I really thought it would be a couple more days there. It felt as if a chapter of our lives was ending (the hospital stay) and we were starting something brand new. The bedrest and NICU stay was a crazy two months. It was actually a good experience. However, honestly I have had so many mixed emotions. I almost didn't want that chapter to end. I met so many wonderful people there who blessed my life. But it was really hard to feel so disconnected for so long from Lincoln, Lauren and my husband.
Anyway, going home brought all the feelings of a first time parent back. Is she still breathing? I checked so many times the first couple of days she was home! Thursday afternoon was my first day home and it was just Kate and I. I couldn't believe how quiet it was in our home...this was rare. But I had the freedom to do anything--so I made some cookies, (by myself which is much less stressful), got the mail from the mailbox, and cleaned the house for my parents and kids returning the next day.
Having another child in our home has truly multiplied our joy. Watching the interaction and growing relationships between each of my children is one of my favorite things. Both kids love to talk with Kate and "help" in any way possible. It makes us laugh. The changing dynamics is great to see. It has been a little bit of an adjustment being all together again, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Yesterday being daylight savings time change, two preschoolers just coming back from a 2 week grandparent stay, and both parents sleep deprived made for a rough day. But we made it and the sun still came up this morning (well sort of...it's cloudy)
Not sure there will be pictures this post. I'm really tired...my head definitely hurts. But making this post is an accomplishment today...along with keeping my kids alive:) It has been so nice to put my own kids to bed each night and cuddle with them for a while. They have changed in the last few weeks and have become more independent. I love them so much!
So glad she made it home! I remember the constant worry at first of making sure they are still breathing and all that....it gets a little easier with time. :D I am so glad you got some alone time...you definitely need to take that from time to time. Sounds like you are recovering well! Despite the sleep deprivation---which will pass one day too! :D You are awesome as you always find the way to see the bright side of things!
ReplyDeleteMissed seeing you by one day but so very happy to hear that you had headed home! I'm sure you are so thrilled to have your whole family under one roof!
ReplyDeleteStacey! I was disappointed I didn't get to say goodbye to you! I'm glad that I can follow your blog. You were a wonderful nurse. Thank you!!
DeleteI loved this post, of course it made me cry. I am so happy for your beautiful family to be together again. We all returned to work on Friday and were so happy for you guys but so sad that we wouldn't see your wonderful family anymore. You are such a gift to all of us Lisa, I learned so much from you, and I will never forget your strength and grace in such difficult times. You will forever amaze me. Big hugs to all of you. Kiss little Kate from me.
ReplyDeleteGina dear! I was a little bit sad that we didn't go home Friday to see you all again. However, I am so glad that I can at least blog stalk you:) Thank you for your compliments. You bet, I will give little Kate a kiss from you. Thank you for all your care for me and my little girl.
Delete